University Consortium goes back to its roots with name change
When the Colleges incorporated in 1925, it selected “Claremont Colleges” to represent its consortium of universities. After six name changes over its 92-year history, the Colleges are returning to its roots.
The Claremont University Consortium (CUC) announced it will legally change its name to “The Claremont Colleges, Inc.” effective January 1, 2018.
The action comes as a result of a two-year review by the CUC’s Strategic Planning Special Committee. The boards of all seven colleges and CUC each voted independently to ratify the changes, according to a press release.
TCC, Inc. will be overseen by a board of directors that includes the seven presidents and board chairs of each of the colleges, CEO Stig Lanesskog and three independent (at-large) directors. The board will govern the collective interests of the institutions, including enhancement of academic collaboration, advancing the reputation and identity of the group as a whole and holding land for future expansion of the Colleges.
The term TCC, Inc. will generally only be used in legal documents, according to the CUC.
CUC employees will work for The Claremont Colleges Services (TCC Services), a unit of The Claremont Colleges, Inc. TCC Services will be overseen by the council of The Claremont Colleges, which includes each college president and the CEO of TCC, Inc.
“While our role remains the same, this important change helps to clarify and strengthen our connection to the Colleges,” Mr. Lanesskog said.
The original articles of incorporation were filed October 14, 1925 under the name “Claremont Colleges.” In 1944, it became “Claremont College,” followed by “Claremont University College” in 1961.
About a year later, on November 28, 1962, “Claremont University College” became “Claremont Graduate School and University Center,” until 1967 when it filed only as “Claremont University Center.”
But “Claremont University Center” split into two corporations in 2000—”Claremont Graduate University” and “Claremont University Consortium.”
The new name, “The Claremont Colleges,” refers to the five undergraduate colleges—Pomona, Scripps, Claremont McKenna, Harvey Mudd and Pitzer—and its two graduate institutions, Claremont Graduate University and Keck Graduate Institute.
Claremont School of Theology and Claremont Lincoln University are not legal members of the CUC.