Program specialist at the Blaisdell Senior Center, Teresa Luce, hands out boxed lunches to seniors on Wednesday at the Joslyn Senior Center in Claremont. The City of Claremont closed both Blaisdell and Joslyn centers last week, which suspended the senior meal program at both locations. The city then transitioned into drive in meal distribution on Mondays and Wednesdays beginning at 11 a.m. at Joslyn. COURIER photo/Steven Felschundneff
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health confirmed 46 new cases of COVID-19 Wednesday, bringing the county total to 190 people infected with the virus. Because there are positive cases across the entire county, the county emphasizes that the public should not think one location is safer than the other.
Many local restaurants have closed in the wake of COVID-19, the coronavirus, but a number of local restaurants are offering pick up orders and a few have launched delivery service to Claremonters.
Walter’s Restaurant began $5 direct delivery to Claremont residents Monday, and for all orders over $50, delivery is free.
It’s easy to tell when driving through Claremont something is just not quite right. First of all, it’s cold and rainy, with cold temperatures on tap for the next week. But it seems everything is also very quiet. Fewer cars, less people, and even plenty of parking in the hardest spots in the Village.
There are many business owners who want to remain open, especially those who operate restaurants, ready to prepare takeout orders. But some are closed. This being said, it's critical we remain vigilant in following social distancing guidelines. COURIER photo/Steven Felschundneff
Claremont city council calls special meeting for this Thursday
A special meeting of the Claremont City Council is tentatively scheduled at 2 p.m. on Thursday, March 19. Additionally, city staff says “certain other items with a time-sensitive nature will be placed on this agenda as the March 24, 2020 regular city council meeting will be cancelled.”
The Los Angeles County Department of Public Health has confirmed 16 new cases of novel coronavirus (COVID-19), it stated in a press release Sunday. To date, LA County Public Health said it has identified 69 cases total; of these, 10 are likely due to community transmission. Five of the cases confirmed today are hospitalized.
In some ways Claremont looked similar to Saturday because of the college students leaving town. It did feel a lot like a day in May when these students would normally leave. I continued to be surprised how many Village businesses were open. It's critical our community support local whenever we can during this mess. What did change today was the amount of food stocked on grocery store shelves. Staples like milk, bread and cleaning supplies were in short supply. There's still no need to worry, they all will remain open with new deliveries coming. So far Los Angeles County has been lucky, but that can change in an instant. Be careful and try to stay out of group gatherings. —PW
I thought by showing our readers video of popular areas around Claremont, it might give you all a sense of the community impact from the coronavirus—COVID-19—precautions. That being said, the Village remained busy with most stores open, restaurants were serving. Vons, Sprouts and Stater Bros had some long lines, but most everything was in stock other than paper products. It's hard to say what will happen tomorrow, but we will keep our eyes open. —PW
The city has announced more closures due to caution over the coronavirus.
Starting Monday, the city is canceling all recreation classes and facility rentals, as well as closing the Youth Activity Center (YAC) and the Tracks Activity Center (TAC), according to city spokesperson Bevin Handel.
Large gatherings have also been canceled through April 12.
Pomona Valley Hospital Medical Center (PVHMC) released new guidelines for visitors to the hospital in an effort to protect public health in the wake of a patient who tested positive for COVID-19, the coronavirus.
Students leave Claremont High School on Friday at the end of the day’s instruction. Earlier in the afternoon Claremont Unified School District officials announced that all Claremont schools would be closed from March 16 to April 13 due to the global coronavirus pandemic. COURIER photo/Steven Felschundneff
By Friday around 1p.m., checkout lines were long at Vons at Base Line Road in Claremont. The same was reported at Stater Bros at Towne Avenue and Foothill Boulevard. Even with this heavy business, there’s no reason to think there are any food shortages, with the exception of some paper products and bottled water. We are told shelves are restocked as quickly as possible. COURIER photo/Peter Weinberger
The COURIER office will be closed to the public starting today and reopen on Monday, March 30. The staff will be checking for phone messages from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m., Monday thru Friday, but our office is closed due to coronavirus concerns. Our staff will continue to work and be available for news, accounting, advertising and subscription questions. The best way to contact us is via email or text, please use THIS LINK to contact us by email. The COURIER will continue publishing our print edition each Friday. There will be no interruption in service, including the newsletter.
The Claremont Unified School District is accepting applications from residents within the school district boundaries who are interested in serving as a provisional appointee on the Board of Education. The vacant position has been created as a result of Beth Bingham’s resignation. The appointed person will serve the remainder of Ms. Bingham’s unexpired term through November, 2020.